Post from Thursday, May 21, 2020
Friends and Artists,
This week we’re turning the spotlight on the small small businesses that keep our communities vibrant and our economy flowing. In this new age of social distancing and self-isolation, small operations that rely on in-person transactions are taking a devastating blow as they shut their doors temporarily — or permanently — for the sake of public health. Here are a few ways that you can support struggling small businesses through this time:
- Volunteer your services — Consider donating your skills and expertise. Whether you’re a finance whiz, a web designer, or a mask-sewing pro, you may be able to put those skills to use for a good cause.
- Boost small businesses on social media — The most valuable advertising for small businesses is word of mouth. Give shout-outs and positive reviews generously to help with engagement, which will lead to more visibility and sales.
- Choose credits and vouchers over refunds — If Covid-19 prevents a business from providing the service or product you purchased, choose a credit rather than a refund if possible.
- Order more takeout and delivery — For most restaurants, this has become their sole source of income. Order online or over the phone, and remember to tip well!
- Buy gift certificates and refer a friend — Consider purchasing a gift certificate that you can use later, or can gift to a friend or family member. This expands their customer base for the future while providing immediate income.
- Shop small online — Many small businesses are accessible online and already have a virtual storefront. Consider the small players before automatically purchasing from larger companies.
- Be patient and kind — Remember, we’re all still adjusting to this new normal. Covid-19 has disrupted everything for small businesses and their teams. Be an understanding customer; a little empathy can go a long way in boosting morale!
These are just a few ways we can show appreciation and support for our friends in small business. Even in prosperous times, there is an incredible amount of time, effort, and passion that goes into running a small business. Together we can get our community through this, one purchase at a time.
In the coming weeks, we will continue to be a source of hope, inspiration, and moral support. For more information about our mission, visit our website, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Until next week!
The SWCA Team
And now for this week’s top picks…
ARTS | Fine Art Display at Aurora Gallery
Come downtown to see what’s in the windows at Aurora Gallery this week! Available for purchase is artwork featured by local artists Barbara Szkutnik, Carol Mack, Lisa Ovando, and Terri Shinners.
MUSIC | Remote Learning at Riverside Performing Arts
Riverside Performing Arts is offering a variety of online interactive classes including Musical Theater, Broadway Jazz, and Contemporary. Explore dance, music, and theater offerings all available online!
THEATRE | “Clue” Live Stream
Action, comedy, intrigue, and murder… and a bunch of people trapped in a house! Pacific Stageworks is proud to present a live production of “Clue” this Saturday for free.
DANCE | Virtual Dance Classes
DanceWorks Performing Arts is providing virtual classes including ballet, acro, aerial skills, jazz, tapnd hip hop for kids, teens, and adults. 6-week short term class options are also available.
HEALTH & WELLNESS | Free Workout Library
Ready to jump into your next home workout? Heather Robertson’s YouTube channel features a large selection of low-impact, jump-free home workouts, plus a 12-week workout plan.
RESOURCES | Free WiFi Hot-spots
In response to Covid-19, the Washington State Department of Commerce has provided free, temporary, emergency internet access across the state, including 13 locations in the Vancouver area.
A GOOD CAUSE | Cooped Up Cabaret
Metropolitan Performing Arts’ new virtual fundraiser features performances from MPA students, local actors, and guest performers on Thursday nights. Help them reach their goal by sending a donation or spreading the word today!
If you love what you see here, please forward this to your friends and encourage them to join our mailing list. Was this email forwarded to you? Click here to opt-in to our Arts Newsletter!
Follow us on social media!